World Food Prize Institute and Paper Resources
High School Teachers!
Have you heard about the World Food Prize (WFP) Youth Institute, presented by Purdue University’s College of Agriculture? This extraordinary educational opportunity for high school students is a potentially life-changing experience and an inspiration to help end world hunger. Free to participating students and teachers / mentors, the institute takes place virtually April 29 (evening) and April 30 (full day).
To keep informed about upcoming deadlines and more details about the program, sign up for the 2021 WFP YI at Purdue e-mail list by filling out this quick form.
Please consider mentoring one student, a few students or an entire class through the process of researching factors in food security for an average family in a developing country. This process is extremely educational and may lead to a transformational experience for students.
About the project:
- Indiana students in grades 9-12 complete a research paper on food security in a developing country with a mentor. Schools or 4-H Counties are each limited to have five students attend the Institute. The research paper requirements will meet many of Indiana’s education standards including the core literacy standard! Click here for paper instructions.
- The five students and mentors from each school or county come to Purdue (virtually this year) April 29-30, 2021 (Thursday evening and all day Friday). At the institute, students complete a 3 minute presentation about their research paper, meet international experts, hear from some of Purdue’s World Food Prize Laureates and learn how Boilers are fighting hunger.
- Based on their presentations and papers, the top students are chosen to serve on the Indiana Delegation to attend the WFP Global Youth Institute either in Des Moines, Iowa or virtually in October 2021. Students must attend the entire Institute to be considered for this opportunity.
- Student papers and final registrations are due by Friday, April 2, 2021. Let us know you are planning on participating by fill out this quick form.
- When the time comes, here are the links for official registration.
Student Registration | Teacher/Mentor Registration | Paper Submission
More information can be found at the Purdue Youth Institute Website. Feel free to forward this message on to other teachers you think might be interested!
If you have a large population of students writing the papers at your school and have 30 or more students seriously interested in participating at the Purdue Institute, please let us know so we can talk about ways to help select your students.
Coordinator, World Food Prize Purdue Youth Institute | College of Agriculture