Mini-Economy Banking Program
Getting Started with the Mini-Economy Banking Program
Many teachers are using the Mini-Economy program in their classrooms.
In a Mini-Economy, students simulate a real-world economy by performing
jobs paying bills, and operating banks, insurance companies, and businesses.
The Mini-Economy Banking Program© (MEBP) will help manage the classroom
banking activities of a typical Mini-Economy. The MEBP allows students
to record savings and checking account transactions, add or delete clients,
give interest, and more. Many teachers supplement their Mini-Economy with
the popular KidsEcon Posters (www.kidseconposters.com).
Follow the directions below to begin using the MEBP in your classroom.
Some Key Things to Remember
- MEBP allows you to use up to five classroom banks simultaneously.
When you enter the program, you choose which bank you want to use. (Most
teachers will only use one bank for a single class.) To switch from
one bank to another, you must first exit the program, then start it
- The MEBP will be installed on your own computer. The installation
program will put a MEBP icon on your desktop for ease in starting the
program each time.
- A letter of permission is available
if your school requires one to install the program.
- When you enter the MEBP the first time, you must give yourself a
username and password. Don’t forget them, as you will need them
to renter the program. (Don’t worry! If you forget them, you can
- Student Bankers, whom the teacher designates, are the only students
who will have access to student banking records. The teacher provides
the username and password for the student bankers. Teachers may easily
switch student bankers and also change the username and password.
- Teachers (as well as the student bankers) should practice some of
the student banker functions before officially "opening" the
bank. So, after you have entered the Teacher Section of the program,
go ahead and add some student names, choosing one to be the banker.
Give the student banker a username and password. Then log in as a student
banker, using this username and password. This gets you into the Student
Banker Section, where you can practice banking transactions.
- Double click on this link to begin: Mini-Economy
Banking Program Link (zip)
To open this file, your computer should have a zip program installed
such as WinZip or PKZip. If you computer does not have this installed,
you can download the software (see below) or check with your computer
- You will see a File Download box. Choose “Open this file from
its current location” then click OK.
- You will then see the Winzip-Set up zip box.
- Click “Install” or double-click on the setup.exe file.
- You will see the Mini-Economy Banking Program Set Up Wizzard. Follow
the instructions to finish installing the MEBP program
- The set up program puts the MEBP shortcut icon ($) on your desktop.
Double click on this icon to begin!
Zip software links
- WinZip software is available at http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.html.
The evaluation copy is free but it expires after 21 days.
- PKZip offers a free zip reader at http://www.pkzip.com/reader/link.html.
Click on the link and follow the instructions to download.
If you have difficulty with any of the zip software downloads, please
consult the computer support staff at your school.
Mini-Economy Banking Program© was developed by the Indiana Council
for Economic Education.
Programming by James McCart, MCCA Consulting